Welcome to SecurityForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review

 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
   Security Forums (Home) -> General Discussions RSS
Next:  what is catroot and catroot 2  
Author Message
Beckett

External


Since: Oct 26, 2009
Posts: 3



(Msg. 16) Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Imported from groups: alt>comp>anti-virus, others (more info?)

Back to top
Login to vote
Beckett

External


Since: Oct 26, 2009
Posts: 3



(Msg. 17) Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Imported from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Back to top
Login to vote
FromTheRafters

External


Since: Apr 01, 2009
Posts: 8



(Msg. 18) Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:35 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message

> From: "David W. Hodgins"
>
> | On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 02:52:18 -0400, Paul Jones
> wrote:
>
>>> This will become the standard anti-malware software before too long.
>
> | I expect many people will wait to see if it lasts longer than MSAV.
>
> | Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> MSAV -- OEM of CPAV bought by Norton.
>
> Passing fad for Win3.1x at best.

By then we had MWAV to protect us. Surprised)

....can't have those nasty viruses messing with Leisure Suit Larry.
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paul Jones

External


Since: Oct 25, 2009
Posts: 9



(Msg. 19) Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:26 am
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 06:24:27 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 02:52:18 -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
>
>> This will become the standard anti-malware software before too long.
>
>I expect many people will wait to see if it lasts longer than MSAV.

Time will tell but take up so far tells a different story.
Luckily for the other anti-malware developers MS are not going to bundle
it with the OS or offer any incentives for OEMs to bundle it with PCs.
They should still expect their sales to reduce though as the MSE has no
'pay' version. You get real-time scanning for free and likely as
features are added they will be available to all for free (no Pro
versions etc).
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Joe Moore

External


Since: Oct 28, 2009
Posts: 3



(Msg. 20) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 am
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Paul Jones wrote:

>On 30 Sep 2009 14:56:34 -0000, acav wrote:
>
>>http://xrl.us/MSEreview
>
>Paul Thurrott writes on 19/10/2009 at:
>http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/19/microsoft-security-essentials-update.aspx
>
>"Microsoft previously reported that its new Security Essentials
>anti-malware solution (see my review) had garnered 1.5 million downloads
>in its first week of availability. Well, the numbers keep going up:
>After two weeks, the download total stood at 2.6 million....."

Talk about "spin"!

If the first week saw 1.5 million downloads and the second week saw
1.2 million (2.6 million total after two weeks minus 1.5 million of
those which were downloaded the first week), the numbers are going
DOWN, not UP!

Or does the author believe the fact that the TOTAL is increasing is
really news?


_ _
joemooreaterolsdotcom
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Joe Moore

External


Since: Oct 28, 2009
Posts: 3



(Msg. 21) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:19 am
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Joe Moore wrote:

>Paul Jones wrote:
>
>>On 30 Sep 2009 14:56:34 -0000, acav wrote:
>>
>>>http://xrl.us/MSEreview
>>
>>Paul Thurrott writes on 19/10/2009 at:
>>http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/19/microsoft-security-essentials-update.aspx
>>
>>"Microsoft previously reported that its new Security Essentials
>>anti-malware solution (see my review) had garnered 1.5 million downloads
>>in its first week of availability. Well, the numbers keep going up:
>>After two weeks, the download total stood at 2.6 million....."
>
>Talk about "spin"!
>
>If the first week saw 1.5 million downloads and the second week saw
>1.2 million (2.6 million total after two weeks minus 1.5 million of
>those which were downloaded the first week), the numbers are going
>DOWN, not UP!
>
>Or does the author believe the fact that the TOTAL is increasing is
>really news?

I could spin it and say that I was giving Microsoft credit for an
aditional .1 million downloads the second week, but actually, I goofed
on the numbers. Regardless, 1.5 million downloads the first week and
1.1 million downloads the next week is still a declining trend.
>
>
>_ _
>joemooreaterolsdotcom

_ _
joemooreaterolsdotcom
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paul Jones

External


Since: Oct 25, 2009
Posts: 9



(Msg. 22) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:19:54 -0400, Joe Moore
wrote:

>Joe Moore wrote:
>
>>Paul Jones wrote:
>>
>>>On 30 Sep 2009 14:56:34 -0000, acav wrote:
>>>
>>>>http://xrl.us/MSEreview
>>>
>>>Paul Thurrott writes on 19/10/2009 at:
>>>http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/19/microsoft-security-essentials-update.aspx
>>>
>>>"Microsoft previously reported that its new Security Essentials
>>>anti-malware solution (see my review) had garnered 1.5 million downloads
>>>in its first week of availability. Well, the numbers keep going up:
>>>After two weeks, the download total stood at 2.6 million....."
>>
>>Talk about "spin"!
>>
>>If the first week saw 1.5 million downloads and the second week saw
>>1.2 million (2.6 million total after two weeks minus 1.5 million of
>>those which were downloaded the first week), the numbers are going
>>DOWN, not UP!
>>
>>Or does the author believe the fact that the TOTAL is increasing is
>>really news?

Well the author does not have show much bias towards other MS products
(and often quite the opposite) so I have little reason to be live he is
trying to spin anything here.

>I could spin it and say that I was giving Microsoft credit for an
>aditional .1 million downloads the second week, but actually, I goofed
>on the numbers. Regardless, 1.5 million downloads the first week and
>1.1 million downloads the next week is still a declining trend.

Have you any data to show that this is not normal for all software new
and *first* releases? If not your summarising shows nothing.
If the numbers are going up. It is an upwards trend, no matter how much
*you* try to *spin* it.

Be interesting to see how many downloads of any of the other
anti-malware solutions there were in their first weeks.
Much MUCH lower I would think.
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Joe Moore

External


Since: Oct 28, 2009
Posts: 3



(Msg. 23) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:32 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Paul Jones wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:19:54 -0400, Joe Moore
>wrote:
>
>>Joe Moore wrote:
>>
>>>Paul Jones wrote:
>>>
>>>>On 30 Sep 2009 14:56:34 -0000, acav wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>http://xrl.us/MSEreview
>>>>
>>>>Paul Thurrott writes on 19/10/2009 at:
>>>>http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/19/microsoft-security-essentials-update.aspx
>>>>
>>>>"Microsoft previously reported that its new Security Essentials
>>>>anti-malware solution (see my review) had garnered 1.5 million downloads
>>>>in its first week of availability. Well, the numbers keep going up:
>>>>After two weeks, the download total stood at 2.6 million....."
>>>
>>>Talk about "spin"!
>>>
>>>If the first week saw 1.5 million downloads and the second week saw
>>>1.2 million (2.6 million total after two weeks minus 1.5 million of
>>>those which were downloaded the first week), the numbers are going
>>>DOWN, not UP!
>>>
>>>Or does the author believe the fact that the TOTAL is increasing is
>>>really news?
>
>Well the author does not have show much bias towards other MS products
>(and often quite the opposite) so I have little reason to be live he is
>trying to spin anything here.

You might be right. It could be he just didn't give much thought to
what he said.
>
>>I could spin it and say that I was giving Microsoft credit for an
>>aditional .1 million downloads the second week, but actually, I goofed
>>on the numbers. Regardless, 1.5 million downloads the first week and
>>1.1 million downloads the next week is still a declining trend.
>
>Have you any data to show that this is not normal for all software new
>and *first* releases?

No.

>If not your summarising shows nothing.
>If the numbers are going up. It is an upwards trend, no matter how much
>*you* try to *spin* it.

According to your logic, if only 3 copies were download next week, two
the week after, and one the week after that, it would still be an
upward trend because the TOTAL is going up even though rate of
downlading is obviously going down. Would it take an outbreak of folks
*uploading* the software before you conceded a downward trend?

>Be interesting to see how many downloads of any of the other
>anti-malware solutions there were in their first weeks.
>Much MUCH lower I would think.

That may very well be true. But it still wouldn't make the fact their
TOTAL numbers increased from week to week newsworthy. It's hard to
imagine any other possibility unless their server broke.

Don't get me wrong. Anything which makes life easier for the average
computer user is fine by me and I hope this product works well and is
easy to use. It's just that hype of any kind annoys me no matter who's
doing it.

_ _
joemooreaterolsdotcom
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Dustin Cook

External


Since: Jun 01, 2006
Posts: 170



(Msg. 24) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Paul Jones wrote in


> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:19:54 -0400, Joe Moore
> wrote:
>
>>Joe Moore wrote:
>>
>>>Paul Jones wrote:
>>>
>>>>On 30 Sep 2009 14:56:34 -0000, acav wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>http://xrl.us/MSEreview
>>>>
>>>>Paul Thurrott writes on 19/10/2009 at:
>>>>http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/19/micro
>>>>soft-security-essentials-update.aspx
>>>>
>>>>"Microsoft previously reported that its new Security Essentials
>>>>anti-malware solution (see my review) had garnered 1.5 million
>>>>downloads in its first week of availability. Well, the numbers keep
>>>>going up: After two weeks, the download total stood at 2.6
>>>>million....."
>>>
>>>Talk about "spin"!
>>>
>>>If the first week saw 1.5 million downloads and the second week saw
>>>1.2 million (2.6 million total after two weeks minus 1.5 million of
>>>those which were downloaded the first week), the numbers are going
>>>DOWN, not UP!
>>>
>>>Or does the author believe the fact that the TOTAL is increasing is
>>>really news?
>
> Well the author does not have show much bias towards other MS products
> (and often quite the opposite) so I have little reason to be live he
> is trying to spin anything here.
>
>>I could spin it and say that I was giving Microsoft credit for an
>>aditional .1 million downloads the second week, but actually, I goofed
>>on the numbers. Regardless, 1.5 million downloads the first week and
>>1.1 million downloads the next week is still a declining trend.
>
> Have you any data to show that this is not normal for all software new
> and *first* releases? If not your summarising shows nothing.
> If the numbers are going up. It is an upwards trend, no matter how
> much *you* try to *spin* it.
>
> Be interesting to see how many downloads of any of the other
> anti-malware solutions there were in their first weeks.
> Much MUCH lower I would think.

I don't see Microsoft dedicating the time or resources to compete in the
antivirus/antimalware fields. They have enough problems writing code for
the OS that works and doesn't break something...

I don't see this app lasting long or becoming anybodies favorite for
cleaning up an infected machine.


--
Dustin Cook [Malware Researcher]
MalwareBytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org
BugHunter - http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paul Jones

External


Since: Oct 25, 2009
Posts: 9



(Msg. 25) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:32:02 -0400, Joe Moore
wrote:

>According to your logic, if only 3 copies were download next week, two
>the week after, and one the week after that, it would still be an
>upward trend because the TOTAL is going up even though rate of
>downlading is obviously going down. Would it take an outbreak of folks
>*uploading* the software before you conceded a downward trend?



>
>Don't get me wrong. Anything which makes life easier for the average
>computer user is fine by me and I hope this product works well and is
>easy to use. It's just that hype of any kind annoys me no matter who's
>doing it.
>
>_ _
>joemooreaterolsdotcom
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paul Jones

External


Since: Oct 25, 2009
Posts: 9



(Msg. 26) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:32:02 -0400, Joe Moore
wrote:

Ignore last 'incomplete' post.

>According to your logic, if only 3 copies were download next week, two
>the week after, and one the week after that, it would still be an
>upward trend because the TOTAL is going up even though rate of
>downlading is obviously going down.

No, I would see a trend when a trend is set. Many weeks of continuing
lower volume of downloads may indicate a trend but could also indicate
normal download activity.

>Don't get me wrong. Anything which makes life easier for the average
>computer user is fine by me and I hope this product works well and is
>easy to use. It's just that hype of any kind annoys me no matter who's
>doing it.

I hope so and I also hope they quickly iron out the bugs that seem to be
affecting a few people.
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paul Jones

External


Since: Oct 25, 2009
Posts: 9



(Msg. 27) Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:37:06 GMT, Dustin Cook
wrote:

>Paul Jones wrote in
>

>> Be interesting to see how many downloads of any of the other
>> anti-malware solutions there were in their first weeks.
>> Much MUCH lower I would think.
>
>I don't see Microsoft dedicating the time or resources to compete in the
>antivirus/antimalware fields. They have enough problems writing code for
>the OS that works and doesn't break something...

Like I said, time will tell.
I have no issues with any current MS OS (possibly Vista is the
exception). The only objection I have is they try not to break older
legacy applications when they develop a new OS. Personally I would
prefer if they started an OS from the ground up and to hell with any
existing apps. The OS is the backbone. Application developers need to
develop applications that work in the OS. and not blame their failings
on the OS or MS.

>I don't see this app lasting long or becoming anybodies favorite for
>cleaning up an infected machine.

I see no reason why MS would not continue to develop this and improve on
it.
As a priority I would expect it to prevent infections rather than clean
them up.
Maybe there is some bias to your opinion? There is none to mine. I am a
completely independent party.
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Dustin Cook

External


Since: Jun 01, 2006
Posts: 170



(Msg. 28) Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:26 am
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Paul Jones wrote in


> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:37:06 GMT, Dustin Cook
> wrote:
>
>
>>I don't see this app lasting long or becoming anybodies favorite for
>>cleaning up an infected machine.
>
> I see no reason why MS would not continue to develop this and improve
> on it. As a priority I would expect it to prevent infections rather
> than clean them up. Maybe there is some bias to your opinion? There
> is none to mine. I am a completely independent party.

For the same reasons MS developed (bought) MSAV and MWAV. Malware is a very
time consuming process; and it takes people seriously dedicated to it on
both sides. If preventing infections 100% of the time could be achieved I'd
be out of a job, along with thousands of others in this field. Smile

I suppose one could suspect bias with my opinion, but I believe I've had
the same opinion of malware in general long before I ever worked for an
antimalware company. I really try not to get work related things mixed up
with personal opinions of this or that.



--
Dustin Cook [Malware Researcher]
MalwareBytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org
BugHunter - http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Lil' Abner

External


Since: Jan 14, 2005
Posts: 19



(Msg. 29) Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:51 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Dustin Cook wrote in


> Paul Jones wrote in
>
>
>> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:19:54 -0400, Joe Moore
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Joe Moore wrote:
>>>
>>>>Paul Jones wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>On 30 Sep 2009 14:56:34 -0000, acav wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>http://xrl.us/MSEreview
>>>>>
>>>>>Paul Thurrott writes on 19/10/2009 at:
>>>>>http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/19/micr
>>>>>o soft-security-essentials-update.aspx
>>>>>
>>>>>"Microsoft previously reported that its new Security Essentials
>>>>>anti-malware solution (see my review) had garnered 1.5 million
>>>>>downloads in its first week of availability. Well, the numbers keep
>>>>>going up: After two weeks, the download total stood at 2.6
>>>>>million....."
>>>>
>>>>Talk about "spin"!
>>>>
>>>>If the first week saw 1.5 million downloads and the second week saw
>>>>1.2 million (2.6 million total after two weeks minus 1.5 million of
>>>>those which were downloaded the first week), the numbers are going
>>>>DOWN, not UP!
>>>>
>>>>Or does the author believe the fact that the TOTAL is increasing is
>>>>really news?
>>
>> Well the author does not have show much bias towards other MS
>> products (and often quite the opposite) so I have little reason to be
>> live he is trying to spin anything here.
>>
>>>I could spin it and say that I was giving Microsoft credit for an
>>>aditional .1 million downloads the second week, but actually, I
>>>goofed on the numbers. Regardless, 1.5 million downloads the first
>>>week and 1.1 million downloads the next week is still a declining
>>>trend.
>>
>> Have you any data to show that this is not normal for all software
>> new and *first* releases? If not your summarising shows nothing.
>> If the numbers are going up. It is an upwards trend, no matter how
>> much *you* try to *spin* it.
>>
>> Be interesting to see how many downloads of any of the other
>> anti-malware solutions there were in their first weeks.
>> Much MUCH lower I would think.
>
> I don't see Microsoft dedicating the time or resources to compete in
> the antivirus/antimalware fields. They have enough problems writing
> code for the OS that works and doesn't break something...
>
> I don't see this app lasting long or becoming anybodies favorite for
> cleaning up an infected machine.

Nope. I think your Malwarebytes has the market on that. But I was hoping
that MSE would be turn out to be top notch realtime protection.

I just installed Windows 7 Saturday and immediately installed MSE. It
acts the same way it did in XP and Vista. And this was before I
installed *anything* else. And I changed my mind, it is *not* tolerable
on a quad core". Smile

So to whoever it was that said that "other processes" were interfering
with it, then Windows itself must be interfering with it.

I uninstalled it right away so it wouldn't slow down the installation of
all my applications.

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Chief Scratchum

External


Since: Nov 03, 2009
Posts: 1



(Msg. 30) Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Paul Jones wrote in


> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:37:06 GMT, Dustin Cook
> wrote:
>
>>Paul Jones wrote in
>>
>
>>> Be interesting to see how many downloads of any of the other
>>> anti-malware solutions there were in their first weeks.
>>> Much MUCH lower I would think.
>>
>>I don't see Microsoft dedicating the time or resources to compete in the
>>antivirus/antimalware fields. They have enough problems writing code for
>>the OS that works and doesn't break something...
>
> Like I said, time will tell.
> I have no issues with any current MS OS (possibly Vista is the
> exception). The only objection I have is they try not to break older
> legacy applications when they develop a new OS. Personally I would
> prefer if they started an OS from the ground up and to hell with any
> existing apps. The OS is the backbone. Application developers need to
> develop applications that work in the OS. and not blame their failings
> on the OS or MS.
>
>>I don't see this app lasting long or becoming anybodies favorite for
>>cleaning up an infected machine.
>
> I see no reason why MS would not continue to develop this and improve on
> it.
> As a priority I would expect it to prevent infections rather than clean
> them up.
> Maybe there is some bias to your opinion? There is none to mine. I am a
> completely independent party.

I *love* parties!
 >> Stay informed about: Microsoft Security Essentials - Ars Technica review 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
Microsoft's malware remover - is it spyware? - Automatice updates has notified me of the Microsoft Malware Remover - anyone know whether it sends any info back to MS? Si.

Nice Microsoft link to sysinternals tools and more (no sig.. - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx Mich...

Locksmith Security - Toyota Security light Problem? I am from India i am locksmith.Problem is that i went programming the key of Toyota IN NOVA. Keys did not program but i went into in the problem that the original key of the customer gave a problem.Whenever the key is..

North East Security Training - [url=http://www.protectorsecurity.co.uk/security-industry-authority.html]North East Security Training[/url] Welcome to The Protector Groups new website The Protector Group leads the industry in providing state of the art security services. From..

Wanna talk with anybody in Mississauga about Comp. Security? - I just came to Mississauga, ON, Canada 3 months ago, and now look forward to finding people who can sit at table with me talking about funny topics like anti-rootkit, is anybody interested in that? If so contact with me..
   Security Forums (Home) -> General Discussions All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada) (change)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 2 of 3

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]